Thursday, February 23, 2006

turn the light off when you leave the room, for the dog's sake


I have the tendency to fall asleep with the TV on. I like the noise, it distracts my busy brain so I can sleep. I normally wake up around 5 ish in the morning, lay in bed half asleep, kind of listening to what's happening in the world on the news and trying to will myself to wake up eventually.

This morning, I woke up a little more abruptly as it processed something that it heard on the news at 5 AM. Our creative Gavin Newsome, the San Francisco Mayor that brought you gay marriage (go Gavin!) and wanted to give the whole city free wireless internet (I wish...) has taken it upon himself to free our fair city from the dependence on fossil fuels and other countries to power our energy demands.

Gavin wants to harness the power of the puppies. Power of the puppies? Little dogs harnessed and running on treadmills in some sort of pet power plant? Nope. Not the plan. The plan is to collect the dog poo of San Francisco, allow it to ferment, and then use the resulting methane gas to power the city. The news report quoted that 4% of the garbage in San Francisco is dog poo!

Apparently waste cans will be put in the parks along with biodegradable bags so all the poo can be collected. For those of TFK readers out there currently looking for an employment opportunity in the bay area, I think some new poo collection positions will be opening soon.

Talk about working hard for your money. I'd like to thank in advance all puppy poo collectors as it could be one of the worst jobs ever. When I was on dog sitting detail for the ex roomie, dealing with what the dog did in the park every morning was a little more than I could handle sometimes.

Also - a little shout out to the dogs, hopefully a high fiber diet is all they need to be successful in this endeavor. Plus, if it's a success...will there be pressure for them to perform more often? You know how Americans can be. Something takes off, and we just want more more more. There could be some very exhausted dogs in San Francisco in the fairly near future. One may see a lot of pooches laying on the ground like the dear departed Ranger, the star of today's picture post.

but one more time with feeling. eeewwww poo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Icky Poo!